Tuesday 19 June 2012

Darby's Pub & Liquor Store

Darby's is a bit of a Kits institution, and has been slinging suds at the corner of Macdonald and 4th since before I was born.  However, in the past couple of years its character has changed from a solid, working man's pub, to a hip urban hangout.  (I'm mildly disgusted that I used the term "hip urban hangout.)

One of my favourite things about Darby's is its rooftop patio.  I haven't frequented as much as I usually would this year, June-uary has been sucking the fun out of patio time.  I did manage to get in for one nice day recently, and It's absolutely gorgeous up there.  Blue sky, view of the North Shore mountains, good beer; Heaven.

The food is delicious, varied, and fairly priced.  I had their BLTP.  (The P is for Pickle.)  All I can really say is, damn good sandwich.  You'll find a great beer selection here too.  20 taps, all craft brews. They rotate every month or so, that way there'll always be something new to try.  For me, anyway, trying new beers is a big reason why I go to pubs in the first place.  Darby's also has a great private liquor store attached.  A great place to pick up some harder to find half-litre microbrews.  If you want a drink, and are feeling to anti-social to hit the bar, it's a good bet.

However, the thing that makes Darby's special is that you never know quite what to expect.  There is nearly always some kind of event going on at Darby's.  Local bands, trivia, karaoke, all sorts of great things.  I was here with some friends once and 14 women in their underwear materialized out of nowhere and insisted we stay for a charity burlesque show.  Some of these events are regular, and some (like the one I just mentioned) are one time only random events.  It's worth sticking your head in the door just for the adventure.

Darby's Pub

No comments:

Post a Comment