Friday 25 May 2012

The Fringe Café

For my inaugural post, I thought I'd start with one of my all time favourite places to down a pint in Kits.  The Fringe is a fun, funky, almost hippieish kind of place.  The walls are adorned with old posters of Frank Zappa, and the tables are decorated with lamps made from old rotary phones.  It's a tiny place.  It's very narrow, and the bar dominates one side of the room.  Often pubs this size feel claustrophobic, but here it just feels friendly and intimate.  Maybe it's the crowd.  The Fringe has a dedicated corps of regulars, and I can see why.

Unusually for a pub, The Fringe eschews a deep-fryer.  However, the menu doesn't suffer from this at all.  They do a wide array of sandwiches and burgers, and other goodies coated with melted cheese.  Their salsa is also some of the best I've had anywhere.  Remember, it's a small place, though.  It's a tiny "kitchen" and I've never seen more than three people working the place at any one time.  This means your food might be a while, but trust me, it's worth the wait.

The beer list, (the most important feature of any pub), is quite respectable.  They do six local micros, all very reasonably priced, with a rotating daily special.  I'd suggest the Ugly Boy Pale Ale, it's my favourite of the six, and I've yet to find it on tap at any other bar.

Definitely a place worth checking out.

The Fringe Café

No comments:

Post a Comment