Sunday 12 August 2012

BierCraft Tap and Tapas

Of all the places I've visited in this world, Belgium stands out as one of my favourites.  I think that's one of the reasons I like BierCraft so much; it's a tiny, little slice of Belgium in Canada.  A fun, and funky joint that meshes with the surrounding Commercial Drive neighbourhood nicely; it's definitely worth checking out.  

It's not a big place.  It's clearly divided between a restaurant area, and more relaxed pub seating.  Space is used very economically.  This is the kind of bar that can get absolutely packed to the gills when it's busy, but it manages to never feel oppressively full.  I always end up using terms I dislike when reviewing pubs, and this will be no exception: BierCraft feels relaxed but modern.  It just feels... cool.  

The beer list is incredible.  20 taps with a great combination of local microbrews and Belgian superstars.  That's supplemented even further by more than 100 bottled beers.  I generally don't like buying bottles in bars.  It's just too obvious that I'm paying a massive markup on something I could have gotten elsewhere and enjoyed at home.  At BierCraft I don't mind, though.  A lot of the beers they sell you can't find in Canada (not without massive effort anyway).  I'm quite happy to buy a delicious bottle if I can't get it anywhere else.

Food is also really good.  It definitely lives up to the tapas part of its name.  Lots of small dishes, most of which are designed for sharing.  They also go for the Belgian feel with food too.  Mussels are a house specialty.  If I have one complaint it's that the food is a touch on the expensive side.  However, it's so good, that it's hard to be upset about it for long.  

Not much else to say, BierCraft is fast becoming a Vancouver classic.  If you haven't stopped by yet, you definitely need to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment