Wednesday 22 August 2012

The Hideaway (Narrow Lounge)

I debated for some time whether or not I should include this in a full review of the Narrow itself, but since I haven't actually been to the Narrow proper in about six months, and they're so very different, I thought they each deserved their own entry.  What on Earth am I talking about?  Hideaway is the Narrow Lounge's patio.

Now, I say patio, but that doesn't really do it justice.  In a non-descript alley off Main Street, you will very suddenly come across a small tiki-bar.  It's open air, but surrounded by foliage, bamboo roofs, and a couple of fairly creepy tiki idols.  It's only open for the summer, and one of Vancouver's best kept tropical secrets.  It's absolutely tiny, I doubt you could get more than 30 people in there squished all together.  However, I've been there a couple of times and never had trouble getting space.  While owned, operated, and run by the Narrow, the only thing the two places share is a kitchen and a bathroom.  Both bars (and I'm treating them as separate bars) have totally different atmospheres.  

I normally am a total beer head, but this place is all about the rum.  True to the Caribbean theme, rum is in just about everything.  Everyone gets a craving for a fruity drink once in a while (particularly when it's hot.  A mojito with chunks of watermelon in it? Delish!  All sorts of tasty rum drinks, and bottles, (or buckets of bottles) for those of you who just need a beer.  The bartender was even selling rum he infused himself, I can't tell you how awesome it was.  Unfortunately whether he and his rum are there on any given evening is a bit of a crap shoot.

Food is good.  Nothing to rave about, nothing to shoot down.  I'd say eat first, and have some of their bar food as a snack.  I give them credit for not being beholden to a typical pub menu.  Tortilla Soup, and their bowl of cookies seem quite popular.  I also appreciate the machiavellian genius of selling popcorn.  Once you smell fresh popcorn, you just have to eat something.

The Hideaway is an awesome place, and definitely worth checking out.  My only regret is not reviewing it earlier in the summer.  As the season winds down, it'll only be open for another month or so this year.

The Hideaway

No comments:

Post a Comment