Tuesday 9 October 2012

Brickhouse Late Nite Bistro & Bar

Right from the start, I should mention that this is one of the strangest bars I've ever found myself in, in my life.  From my perspective, that's a good thing.  Recently, I've been very interested in finding the city's lesser-known holes in the wall, and I think this qualifies.  In fact, when we got there at 8 pm, the doors were chained shut.  We went down the street to drink somewhere else, but a friend who smokes discovered on one of his breaks that Brickhouse had opened an hour later than the internet told us it was supposed to.

The opening discrepancy was only the first sign that this place is... eclectic.  Apparently the owner just opens up the bar when he feels like it.  So getting in can be a total crap shoot.  Once you do get in, you walk down a short hallway, and find yourself in what appears to be a very well decorated basement.  Pool table, ancient sofas, fishtanks in the walls, hipsters pretending they're too cool to play pool.  It's a weird place, but it's got a great vibe.  Don't go by yourself, go with a group of friends.  This is a place to chill and chat.  In other words, it's exactly what I'm looking for in pub.

Beer list is definitely respectable.  Six local micros, none of the big brewer's stuff.  Fantastic prices!  $4.75 a pint.  No wonder I had a couple too many.  As for food, though.  I don't know how the word bistro ended up in Brickhouse's name.  The only food they sell is packages of potato chips.

Bordering the gungey part of downtown, Brickhouse is a very cool place, that I will definitely be going back to.  You should go too.  At the rate that area is gentrifying, Brickhouse, and the lovely ancient brick building it resides in may not be standing for many more years.


No comments:

Post a Comment