Thursday 4 October 2012

Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug

There are a lot of Irish bars in this city (and around the world) that take kitsch to an art form.  Girls in plaid skirts, Guinness advertisements from a hundred years ago, and signs explaining the term "craic" to the uninitiated (look it up).  They're everywhere.  I've reviewed some of them.  Johnnie Fox's isn't one of them.  Ok, they do have the Guinness ads, but let's be honest those are adorable.  

I have no idea if the management of Johnnie Fox's are Irish or not, and I really don't care.  The place seems authentic.  I've said before that I will let a lot slide in the name of pub atmosphere.  This joint has the kind of atmosphere I've been talking about.  It's friendly, inviting, and regardless of how old it is, it feels like it's been standing for a hundred years.  It's a tiny little place on what is still the (somewhat) grungy portion of Granville street.  You mightn't notice it at all if it weren't for the bright red door.  I suppose the friendly atmosphere is necessary.  On a busy night, people are packed in to the gills.  You make friends fast.  

The beer list follows one obvious philosophy: Simplicity.  There are only four beers on tap, and one cider.  All Irish.  Normally lack of diversity in a beer list would vex me, but here it works somehow.  I think it again comes down to that authentic atmosphere.  If the barman here were pulling from twenty casks it would just come across as artificial.  ...There may be a downside to trying to review the ephemeral.  Good greasy pub food, and all day breakfast.  I don't know why, but eggs always seem like a good idea after a few pints.  

I'll definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment