Monday 18 February 2013

Portland Craft

Every time I think I've found the ultimate beer lover's bar, this city keeps upping the ante.  Portland craft is definitely for... beer enthusiasts... hop heads... let's just say people who are a little too into beer.  This relatively young Main Street joint is often packed, and well worth the line to get in.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I have never been to Portland.  I want to go, I'm hoping to get there this summer.  Deservingly or not, Portland has somehow garnered the reputation of being something of a microbrewing mecca.  Portland Craft seems to be an attempt to bring some of that local beer spirit to Vancouver.  Like I said, I've never been to the real Portland, so I have no idea if it works, but I do quite like what they've come up with.

The bar has a simple layout.  It's one large room, with a small upper level that seems to be regularly used for private parties.  It has reeeeeeeeally high ceilings.  It has a dark, simple design, that is only marred by what appear to be massive grain bags lining the ceiling.  I'm sure they're only decorative, but I did notice that everybody who walks in takes minute to say, "those aren't going to fall, are they?"  It's not a bar for large groups; not unless you get there really early anyway.  Lots of small tables, one large communal table, and a few bigger tables around the edges.

Food is good.  It's not a huge menu, but what they have is high quality.  They divide the menu up by price, which I appreciate.  If you want a big meal, it could get a little pricey, but otherwise prices seem fair.  I had a ridiculously good thin crust pizza.  The people in the kitchen know what they're doing.

Again, though, this is a place for beer nuts.  ...People who really like beer, not the actual abominable salted nuts.  The name of the bar might be a giveaway, most of the beers are from portland.  Most of the beers on the list were ones I'd never heard of.  They sell between 15 and 20 beers a night, all listed on a great big board.  Most of them are part of Portland's craft brew scene, but a few locals make it onto the list, though.  Like most of my other favourite places, the tap list rotates.  Anything you find that you really like might not be here again next week.  That's ok, though.  New great beers will be there instead.  I also quite liked that they listed the alcoholic strength of the beer next to it on the board.  I just wish I'd noticed it before I had three at 9%.  Portland also does a rotating bourbon list.  However, I'm not a bourbon guy, so you'll have to find someone else to tell you if the selection is any good.

I really like this place.  If you're a local beer lover, you owe it to yourself to stick your head in the door at least once.

Portland Craft


No comments:

Post a Comment