Wednesday 13 March 2013

The Keefer Bar

Not for the first time, I find myself writing up a place that I don't think really fits the strictest definition of a pub, but it was a fantastic place, so I'm ok with it.

I've been very clear that I'm a beer guy.  Good beer is amazing, and The Keefer Bar does sell beer.  If you buy any of it you should be smacked.  That's not a reflection on the quality of the beer.  It's because Keefer does some of the most wonderful, amazing cocktails anywhere, and if you choose to have something else, you are an absolute fool.

Hanging out just on the edge of Chinatown, this is a really cool joint that I'm embarrassed I didn't try out sooner.  The legends have it that once upon a bygone age the building housed a Chinese apothecary.  Whether it ever did or not, I have no idea, but the concept has been worked into the bar's theme.  The bar is decorated with depictions of ideal acupuncture points, and there are ancient x-rays hanging above the toilets.  Many of the drinks also take on a bit of a medicinal theme.  If you'd asked me a week ago, I would've said a hospital themed bar would be a really cheesy idea, and it is a bit, but it also works really well.

The drinks!  Did I mention they're fantastic?  The head bartender is the kind of guy who attends (and wins) international mixology competitions.  They make their own bitters, tinctures, syrups, and teas, and then use them to make some of the most creative, and wonderful drinks.  Most of them have some kind of Asian influence.  I had something made with rum, ginger, and dragon fruit.  Fan-damn-tastic.  When you first glance at the menu, you might think things are a little expensive.  My response to that is, a) you're paying for quality, and b) almost every drink is either a double or a triple, so it's actually a really good deal.  The drinks are lethally alcoholic though, so any more than a few and you will be flying.

Food!  There is food.  I stopped in at ten pm for a couple of late drinks, so I didn't eat anything.  I will be back to this place though, so I'll have some food then, and write an addendum when I do.

Didn't I already tell you this place is awesome?  Why are you still reading this, instead of heading downtown for amazing fruity drinks?

The Keefer Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment