Monday 1 April 2013

Hyde Restaurant

Hyde describes itself as "A Tim Burton-inspired room of oddity and unusually wicked things."  I've gotta say, I don't see it.  Though, that may just be because Johnny Depp isn't hiding behind every corner.  Unnecessarily pretentious descriptive terms aside, Hyde is a decent place.  It's smaller place which manages to feel intimate, without being crowded.  The paintings of guns with flowers protruding from them which hang on the walls are not exactly subtle, but it works, and Hyde manages to come off as a classy, neighbourhood watering hole.

Space is at a bit of a premium.  As far as I'm concerned that's a good thing, I like small intimate bars.  We were told that they do have live music nights, and I found this really interesting as I can't imagine where you'd be able to put a band.  I'm quite curious to find out.  I wouldn't bring more than 6 people here, but if your group is small it's a great place to grab a pint and a bite and shoot the breeze.

The beer list is fairly standard.  Nothing wildly exciting, but nothing you'd be ashamed to drink either.  Very reasonably priced too, which is something I look for in a session bar.  The drinks list seems pretty run-of-the-mill until you discover that Hyde's specialty is their house made infusions.  I had their spiced rum, and I must say it was pretty damn tasty.  They also offer absinthe, which I find unusual in places like this, but the last time I had absinthe I have no idea how I managed to get home, so it wasn't something I was up for trying.

Food menu was also what you'd expect of a bar on main street.  I had a mushroom spinach pizza, which was quite nice.  Nothing wildly unexpected, but all fairly priced.  This is a bit of a tangent, but is it just me, or is the idea of serving nachos in a bar starting to go out of style?  I haven't seen them on a menu in ages.

Ultimately, Hyde is a good quality Vancouver bar, and you could do much worse than spend an evening there with some good friends.

Hyde Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment