Tuesday 23 April 2013

Chaise Lounge

I haven't written up a new bar in a few weeks.  I haven't been drinking as much.  That's probably a good thing, but what's good for my health isn't good for my website, so I braved the rigours of intoxication, and went out and found Chaise.

The only thing I don't like about Chaise Lounge is the name.  Puns and I don't get along.  Other than that, it was a fun place.  It's relatively new, and doesn't seem to be very well known yet.  They were able to seat a group of 8 without any warning; a rare and appreciated feature of a bar on a Saturday night.  Chaise is a reasonably large place.  The management seems to be going for an old fashioned look.  Everything is dark and wood panelled.  It's a nice effect, if a bit unoriginal.

The drinks list is also nothing special.  Average beer list, nothing to write home about, and all the cocktails you'd expect.  The bartender knows what he is doing though.  I told him I didn't really know what kind of drink I was in the mood for, and he made me something with rum, and ginger, and lime.  I have no idea what it was, or if it has a name, but it was delicious.  I had three of them.  I'm afraid I can't speak to the food, as we didn't have any.  It was later in the evening, and no one was really hungry.  Food appeared to be what you'd expect from a quiet bar, though.

Bottom line, Chaise was a nice place to go for a quiet drink.  However, it isn't anything special.  It also isn't trying to be anything special.  It wants to be a neighourhood bar, and in a city that's starting to insist every watering hole have some weird theme, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I'd say it's worth checking out if you're in a mellow mood.

Chaise Lounge

No comments:

Post a Comment