Wednesday 10 July 2013

Caffe Barney

I have not been a good pub-blogger.  I've been a good pub-goer, but I'm not sure how much that counts for.  I have been to a couple of new places, I just haven't gotten my lazy butt around to writing about them.  The upside is, I have a few new spots in the pipeline, so hopefully it should be a bit busier a summer around here.

Caffe Barney.  I've bent the definition of pub for this blog in the past, and this is going to be another such occasion.  I'm really not sure how to characterize Barney.  I first discovered it the better part of a year ago when I was out looking for breakfast.  They do a really good breakfast.  Then, a few weeks ago, I was out with a friend, and in that rare mood when I was looking for a quiet wine bar, and I remembered this place.  

It's a long room, with a bar at the front, and it has more of a bistro feel at the back.  It manages to look very modern without feeling like it's trying too hard.  Though I did find the art on the walls a bit disconcerting.  (There was a maniacal baby!)  

While Barney is definitely trying to be all things to all people (breakfast joint, fancy restaurant, local bar), I think it best shines as a wine bar.  They have a chalkboard on the wall listing their current wines, and while I can't claim to be a wine guy, I really enjoyed the wines I imbibed.  I had a really astonishing rosé and I'm kicking myself for not writing down the vintners.  

Food I can't talk about as much.  We went there later in the evening, and the only thing we had to eat was dessert.  I can wholeheartedly recommend the pie.  It comes in a little casserole dish, heated up and swimming in rapidly melting ice cream.  Delish!

Otherwise the bar list is pretty standard.  The beer list is small, but it's dominated by good quality brews.  I would definitely go again.  It's a good place for when you're just looking for a quiet night out.


No comments:

Post a Comment